Tuesday 12 November 2013

Book Review: Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy By Helen Fielding


Title: Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy
Author: Helen Fielding
Publisher: Jonathan Cape
Publication Date: 10th October 2013

Blurb

What do you do when your girlfriend’s sixtieth birthday party is the same day as your boyfriend’s thirtieth?
Is it better to die of Botox or die of loneliness because you’re so wrinkly?
Is it wrong to lie about your age when online dating?
Is it morally wrong to have a blow-dry when one of your children has head lice?
Is it normal to be too vain to put on your reading glasses when checking your toy boy for head lice?
Does the Dalai Lama actually tweet or is it his assistant?
Is it normal to get fewer followers the more you tweet?
Is technology now the fifth element? Or is that wood?
If you put lip plumper on your hands do you get plump hands?
Is sleeping with someone after two dates and six weeks of texting the same as getting married after two meetings and six months of letter writing in Jane Austen’s day?

Pondering these and other modern dilemmas, Bridget Jones stumbles through the challenges of loss, single motherhood, tweeting, texting, technology, and rediscovering her sexuality in—Warning! Bad, outdated phrase approaching!—middle age


Verdict
didn't like it didn't like it didn't like it didn't like it  A laughable read that gets a 4* thumbs up from me!

Yay! Bridget is back! I got all excited when I first heard Helen Fielding was writing another Bridget Jones book and with it being like ten years on and I was so happy to like read about Mark Darcy and Bridget Jones and their happy family...However I was left heartbroken a week before publication date when Newspapers spilt the beans that Helen Fielding had Killed Mark Darcy off in the book.... *Sobs Sobs* Yes brings a few tears to my eyes hearing that...However I thought No I am going to read the book and will decide whether being in the modern times and no Mark Darcy will make a fabulous book.

I did enjoy it however by the end I was left feeling very let down by Helen and didn't feel like this was the Bridget Jones we all knew and loved. Some things that did happen in Bridget's Life did make me giggle because I could picture Bridget in that certain situation and how we would probably act as well in her situation or I could imagine the old Bridget and how she would act.

I still loved the book though as I feel Helen Fielding had to make it modern and grab readers. It was just great to read Bridget that she was back :)
Her favourite and dear friends however there was no Shazza? I want to know where was Shazza? :( lol!
However though I did enjoy the book very much and It was nice to read about Bridget once again! I am eager for the film now hehe!
I Think huge fans of Bridget Jones are either going to love or hate this book, bit like marmite....maybe because people will be gutted Mr Darcy isn't in the happy ending for Bridget however it is still laughable!

No comments:

Post a Comment