Tuesday 20 August 2013

Book Review: The Gravity of Birds by Tracy Guzeman

Title: The Gravity of birds
Author: Tracy Guzeman
Publisher: Harpercollins UK
Publication Date: 15th August 2013

A haunting debut of love in all its forms, The Gravity of Birds perfectly
captures the devastating consequences betrayal can have through the decades, echoing right through to the present day.

Perfect for fans of Kate Morton and Maggie O’Farrell.

Sisters Alice and Natalie were once close, but adolescence has wrenched them apart. Alice is a dreamer who loves books and birds; Natalie is headstrong, manipulative – and beautiful. On their lakeside family holiday, Alice falls under the thrall of a struggling young painter,Thomas Bayber. Natalie, however, seems strangely unmoved, tolerating sittings for a family portrait with surprising indifference. But by the end of the summer, three lives are shattered.

Decades later, Thomas, now a world-renowned artist, reveals the existence of a portrait of himself with Alice and Natalie from that fateful summer. The sisters themselves have disappeared without a trace. And Thomas is torn between taking the secrets of the girls to the grave, or using the painting to resurrect the past before it closes up on them all for good…

didn't like it didn't like it didn't like it didn't like it didn't like it

I was sent this book by Rosie from Harpercollins, Thank you! I'll admit when I received it I was a bit nervous about starting this incase I didn't like it and It wasn't my cup of tea, However I was totally wrong! It was amazing and written so beautifully, I just adored every moment reading it especially as I finished it in two days and even after finishing I still can't get it out of my mind.

We meet sisters Alice and Natalie on a summer family holiday on their lakeside, they were once close however when Alice fell in love with a struggling young painter Thomas Bayber, Natalie in years to come was jealous of Alice. By the end of that summer, Three lives were shattered.
Now decades later Thomas, now a well known artist, reveals a portrait of himself with Alice & Natalie from that summer but the sisters themselves are hidden away. Thomas employees the help of two guys to help find the missing paintings and the sisters Alice & Natalie too.

Tracy Guzeman has done a terrific job of writing this book so beautifully and adorably. I did adore it so much, I loved the way each chapter flicked between different dates but you can easily follow each chapter with what is unfolding in every chapter.

I loved warming up to the characters especially Alice, I felt kinda sorry for her in a way especially because of the way her sister Natalie betrayed her and could do such a nasty thing like that..not going to do any spoilers though hehe!

I feel this book is one to cherish on your own and not to be spoiled. I adored and will be passing on the books to all my friends & family. Certainly deserved the 5/5* rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment